Coming out is not always easy. I was very lucky that I had a supportive family and network that made me feel safe, secure, and happy. I know that not everyone has the same experience as I had, which is why I want to do everything I can to help my fellow LGBTQIA+ community to be happy and healthy.
The Greens will:
- Ensure intersex, transgender and gender diverse people are able to alter their sex or gender on all official documents, consistent with how they live and identify, irrespective of their marital status, without the requirement for gender affirmation surgery or hormonal therapy.
- Fix the education system to provide age-appropriate information to students, and training and resources to teachers, about respectful relationships and the diversity of sexuality, gender identity, intersex variations and family structures.
- Provide adequate funding for services to address the whole-of-life health and welfare needs of people with diverse sexualities, gender identities and intersex variations.
- Bring gender-affirming healthcare free on Medicare, investing $15 million per year on covering the out of pocket costs gender diverse and trans people encounter when accessing healthcare.
Opposing The LNP's Religious "Freedom" Bill
What does this mean for the LGBTQIA+ community?
- Homophobic language and slurs can be defended as a “statement of belief” so long as the belief is confirmed by another person of the same faith.
- Religious-owned companies (such as Sanitarium, maker of Weet-Bix) could hire and fire based on sexuality and religion.
- This bill would override existing state anti-discrimination laws.
- The "Falou" clause would allow individuals to make "statements of belief" that are immune from consequence and anti-discrimination laws.